Saturday, October 22, 2011

Favorite Anti-Bullying Read Alouds (Linky Party)

I am linking up with one of my favorite blogs, Swimming into Second, to share some of my new favorite read aloud books. They mostly center around anti-bullying and character education because that is a focus for our school right now during Anti Violence Week across the state and the new NJ Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB) laws. I have been spending wayyyy to much money at Scholastic, Barnes and Noble, and Amazon, but I just loooove these books!

Mr. Peabody's Apples is a book written by Madonna. Yes, the singer. I didn't believe it either... but it is a great book that teaches children about spreading rumors and how they can create or damage a reputation for themselves or others.

How Full is Your Bucket? For Kids is a great story for teaching students to think before they act. Ever since I read this book to my students, they have wanted to find ways to make sure everyone has a good day. They especially look for other students or teachers who need a pick me up and make sure to fill their buckets!
I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self Esteem is a story cowritten by Jamie Lee Curtis. It seems like actresses and celebrities are writing books all the time now! It teaches kids to accept themselves and helps them to understand that everyone makes mistakes. Kids really enjoy the rhythmic rhyming too!
Don't Laugh at Me teaches kids to accept others, regardless of their differences. It also includes a cd with lyrics about tolerance.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I just love Mr. Peabody's Apples! A 4th grade teacher gave it to me one year and I read it every year! I am a new follower of your cute blog! I hope you'll come check my blog out sometime! =)
    Rebecca
    Teaching First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me think of our Expectation #2 "We will not laugh at or make fun of another person's mistakes, use sarcasm or put downs." We say our expectations every morning during our assembly and the kids really take them to heart. I haven't heard of some of your books - I will be sure to check them out!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, what a super cute blog. We're facebook friends and I wanted to stop by and say hi. My daughter's teacher read "How full is you bucket" at the beginning of the school year. At the end of the school day she would allow the children to pull messages out of their bucket to read. My daughter really got a kick out of classmates saying things like, "i liked your hair today" or "you did well on your spelling test". Loved the post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete